2010年5月14日 星期五

Why the title?

I'm a cyclist who lives in Taiwan. I was born in Taichung City. When I picked up the sport during my 3rd year in highschool, I used to ride my $120 bicycle up a hill know as the Big Belly (大肚山, Da-Du Shan) in the nearby Taichung County. That name Big Belly, in turn, came from the name of a misterious aborigionee tribe (papora). It's been said they were one of the major dominating forces of flat-land aborigonate clans in the central part of this island before we Chinese people (the Han nationality to be precise) immigrated during the 18th centry. Not much is known about them, and probably nobody nowadays knows what the word "Dwa Do" in their language really means, but the name survived.

Taiwan is a mountainous island. We don't have many flat lands to begine with. My hometown Taichung City, for example, is not really a plane but more a kind of basin, central of the western part of Taiwan. At the west of this basin lie the Da-Du Hills, although from the habit of the Mandarin language you might hear it mentioned as Da-Du "Mountains" or something like that. At the eastern part we got Da-Keng, and the south-western we got Ba-Gua "Mountains." People who cycle in central Taiwan must be familiar with these areas.





Right. What about me? Well, I first learned to climb on one of the roads in the Da-Du hills. Not that I was an excellent climber... but to get a taste of it, nothing beats a 10% gradient, 500-meter-long, unforgiving, two-lane, you-can-only-see-sky-at-the-end deserted paved road in the middle of nowhere. Between the heavy breathing and hard pedaling action you find yourself a sort of rhythm, with the burning sensations in your legs, sweat forming on your forehead, and heart rate rocketing sky hight at a rate far greater than you are physically going upwards. And of course, the satisfactions that came after conquering it.


(Below are links to three photos of this very climb:

Chung-Tai Road overview;
Mid Sections of the climb;
and School of Theology at the roadside;

courtesy of Edinman)


Funny thing is I gave a name of that small nasty road all those years back, and it was adopted by the people riding around ever since. Although they might not know the origin (and would probably never bother anyway). If you understand the Chinese language, the nickname came from the School of Theology at the roadside, third link above. 神召天梯 means a ladder towards heaven, for those who have received God's call.

Of course from a competitive cyclist point of view it's nothing to brag about, but considering that it was my very first climb, an accent which I managed to finish without stopping on only the second attempt (stopped three times the previous day), it was still quite an achievement. And the stories pretty much started from here.

5 則留言:

  1. AWESOME LIAO! I was a cyclist born in Taichung too.... just MUCH later in life. Your English is amazing, nearly perfect and much better then most native speakers. Mind blowing considering you never lived in an English speaking country!

    I think Blogger is better, you can follow other blog and easier to connect with other cyclist from around the world.

    To feed into facebook, just go to the notes area and click on 'import external blog'. easy peasy lemon squeasy as the kids say!

    回覆刪除
  2. I've learned that using the application guides. Yeah~ i'm still learing this blogger thing. In fact I've got it activated quite a while ago... when I first registered g-mail; but didn't really looked into it.

    回覆刪除
  3. And did you ever ride Da-Du shan?

    回覆刪除
  4. Me too. I ran out of picture space on Wretch... and so much has changed...this feeds nicer in to Facebook (where my family reads my blog). Da-Du shan? I don't know... thing is there were about 15 'hills' between DaJia and ChangHwa.... I trained many of them. We had one training ride where we did 8 of them, climbed about 1000m in 100km... up and down the ridge. I usually just followed the group. Really miss that kind of climbing!

    回覆刪除